Tourist Attractions in Lalmonirhat
There are 11 tourist attractions found in Lalmonirhat. This is 11% of all tourist attractions listed in Rangpur Division. The major types of tourist attractions listed here are landmarks and nature attractions. Then there is also museums listed in Lalmonirhat. You may find a list of all categories of Lalmonirhat attractions on this page. Click on a category to find all attractions of Lalmonirhat of that type.
Lalmonirhat is a border district in Rangpur division in the northern region of Bangladesh. It was upgraded to the district in 1984 from a subdivision after being separated from Rangpur district.
Geographic Location: Koch Bihar and Jalpaiguri districts of West Bengal in India on the north, Rangpur district on the south, Kurigram district and Kuch Bihar of India on the east, Rangpur and Nilphamari districts on the west. River Dharla and Teesta are flowing in district north and south respectively.
There are several myths about the naming of Lalmonirhat. Those are:
1. In the nineteenth century when the construction of the Bengal Duars rail line was being done, the workers saw the red stones below the ground. Since then, the place has been named 'Lalmoni'.
2. According to another opinion, the woman whose land was acquired by British Railway was named Lalmoni. In recognition of his contribution, the people of the area named the place 'Lalmoni.'
3. Another view is that in 1783, a female farmer leader named Lalmoni, along with Nurul Din, sacrificed their lives after fighting against British soldiers and landlords to establish the rights of peasants. From then this place was called 'Lalmoni.'
By the course of time, the word 'hat' is associated with the word 'Lalmoni' and has been named 'Lalmonirhat.'
The district has stunning natural beauty. It also has some historical places those are great points of attraction for the tourists. The district has centuries old railway line and Railway Bridge, the historic airbase of the Second World War, Teesta barrage, centuries-old mosques, and temples.
The major tourist attractions of this district are Burimari Land Port, Sheikh Fazlul Karim house and his grave, Kakina palace, Harano Mosque, Nidariya Mosque, Lalmonirhat Airbase of World War II, Tista Barrage irrigation project.
Lalmonirhat Map with Tourist Attractions
Find tourist attractions in Lalmonirhat and nearby locations using the following map.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Lalmonirhat
Visit the top tourist attractions in Lalmonirhat. Click on a tourist attraction bellow to find the detailed information.
- Teesta Barrage
- Harano Masjid (Lost Mosque)
- Nidariya Masjid
- Teesta Bridge
- Lalmonirhat Catholic Church
- Tushbhandar Zamindar Bari
- Kakina Zamindar Bari
- Military Firm (Anandalok Park)
- Lalmonirhat Airport(Air Base Of World War)
- Lalmonirhat District Museum
Lalmonirhat Tourist Attractions in the Following Categories
All tourist places and attractions in Lalmonirhat are grouped in the following categories. Click on a category bellow to find all the attractions of that type.
Directions to Go
Lalmonirhat is located 354 km north of Dhaka. It takes 8-9 hours by road to reach this district from Dhaka. There are also train services operated by Bangladesh Railway between these destinations as well as other nearby regions.
The following article will provide you with interesting information, useful tips and insights about tourist attractions in Lalmonirhat.
Historic Landmarks of Bangladesh
Find in Lalmonirhat
We have listed tourist places of Lalmonirhat in the following categories. Please click on one of them to find all Lalmonirhat attractions of that type.View All
Find Tourist Attractions in Rangpur Division
Add New Attraction
Is there an interesting tourist attraction missing in Lalmonirhat? Please spare a minute to inform us the details of this attraction.Click Here to Suggest an Attraction